There was this excellent article in the Guardian last month. Click here to read it
Read the whole article before answering these questions (otherwise you will find them much harder to answer). Please either write out the questions in your book as well as the answers or answer in whole sentences. If you don’t do one of these two things, you will find it very hard to revise from this work
- What does “hold the line” mean for coastal defence?
- How much could sea levels rise around the UK cost by the end of the century?
- What does this phrase from the 6th paragraph mean” The plans to hold the line would cost more than the property and land that would be protected.”?
- Put this phrase from the 7th paragraph into your own words “the government only currently funds defences with at least a 6 fold cost-benefit ratio”?
- How many properties are currently at significant coastal flood risk” and how many is this likely to increase to by 2080?
- What other parts of our key infrastructure are also at risk from rising sea levels in by 2080?
- Why do you think the government is warning people about these possible risks to their property?
- Sum up what this article has said in 4 short bullet points