These are the notes from our brief meeting on 10/10/17. They contain links and main points. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or suggestions.
How you can help your daughter get a better grade in her Geography GCSE
WJEC Syllabus B facts – 3 exams:
- Decision making exam
- Exam based on fieldwork (Studland last year & Salisbury next week)
The bad news:
1/ Ask the exam board if they can tell you what a grade 4, 5 8, 9 they will say “Sorry but we can’t”
2/ So I can’t in all honesty tell you what your daughter needs to get a certain grade
The good news
I can tell you what your daughter needs to do to improve her work in geography and therefore get a higher grade than the one she is working at the moment.
- Read your daughter’s exercise book and test her. Testing aids recall and good recall helps long term memory and understanding.
- Every 3 weeks or so we will do some DIRT (dedicated improvement and reflection time). This is where we improve answers correct misunderstanding and generally make the learning we have done so far better. Ask your daughter what she did in these lessons (look for yellow boxes in her book)
- Follow @stedsgeography and sign up for email notifications to geogteacher.wordpress.com (click on ‘follow’ in the bottom right and enter your email address)
- You could buy a text book but at £24 paperback or £11 kindle I wouldn’t say that was good value.
- There is a revision book due out. The publication date keeps slipping. Today it is promised on 24/11/17. If this is good we will let you know. Price is £9
- firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com